That Conversation & The Coincidence Bump!

Another of my Instagram short post series converted into a full length article, today I like to share more about the conversations I had with two different individuals and the after-thoughts.




I had two encounters yesterday, with two different successful individuals in their own merits; one is a retired realtor during our public cupping series and the other was my first boss in the independent coffee world, after I left a 8 year old career with Starbucks. Both are in their 60s.

The conversation:
The ex-realtor said, "This is my 1st time attending a public cupping session and I lowered my expectations of receiving knowledge as it is free*. Now with the information shared, I am impressed yet surprised why are you doing it for free?" I smiled.....

The short answer is because the Company is passionate in what we do, serve and sell and everyone of us would have probably be used to this phrase, 'Passion makes people do crazy (or stupid) stuffs!' And hence, running a 90 minutes public cupping session for FREE.

The longer answer which was the catalyst to writing this article for the blog is because as a Coffee Company lead by people of passion, we are often driven by a deep sense of purpose and dedication to our cause. There are several reasons why we are willingly devoting our time, energy, and resources to pursue our passion:

We believe in the cause: We genuinely believe in the importance and value of our cause. We have a strong conviction that our actions can make a positive impact and bring about meaningful change in the specialty coffee business, firstly in Singapore and then, the world.

Personal fulfillment for our Coffee Leadership Team (CLT): Engaging in activities aligned with the team passion brings a sense of personal fulfillment and satisfaction. The team find joy and meaning in pursuing something they deeply care about, which fuels their motivation and dedication for the craft. We all have different agendas; some like to showcase knowledge, others enjoy sharing, some uses it as a toastmaster platform to practice public speaking, some sees this as a personal growth and learning development, while all agrees this is effective marketing of our delicious coffees to the masses.

Sense of responsibility: Many of the Company's employees, my colleagues are passionate individuals who feel a sense of responsibility to contribute to society or make a difference in the lives of others through coffee and coffee making. They recognize that they have the ability and opportunity to take action and feel a duty to use their skills and resources for the greater good, and in the process spread 'the flavours of good coffee to as many palate as they can' one cupping bowl at a time!


Community and connection: They often find a sense of community and connection with like-minded people who share their interests and values. They enjoy being part of a larger movement or community that works together towards a common goal. In fact, since relaunching this cupping series post covid, many of those attendees became friends in just the short 05 months (and 05 session of running this) of 2023!

It's important to note that while passion can be a powerful driving force for the Company, it's crucial too for my partners and I, as driver to the business that we maintain a healthy balance of being both sustainable and profitable while avoiding burnout amongst our passionate team members.  Taking care of their well-being, rotating members to host different month series and finding sustainable ways to pursue their passion can help maintain their dedication and effectiveness over the long term. Of course being a for-profit organization, we operates with the goal of making money and we achieve this by serving our customers by selling a product or service. We have the product and service, and we expand our pool of customers by providing such platform of enriching them with more knowledge and increasing the market share of the pie. All in all, everybody wins.

Note: *free - they received back their $5 as a coffee bag discount or a cup of delicious coffee, at the end of the cupping.
__________________________________________________

The coincidence bump:
My ex-boss, "Hey you! It has been awhile. How are you doing? And oh my, your face (touching my chin) glowing and you look better with some gained weight compared to working with me." My lady boss who was with him chipped in, "wahh now easy life lah. Big shot already and a bigger boss now." I smiled yet again.....

This ex-scrawny barista was always underweight! I could never tipped over 58kg while in my 20s and early 30s but getting married and being fed well changes all that. :) Today, I am in my early 40s and well over the 58kg that i was while working in 'my ex-boss' coffee company (at the age of 25) after leaving Starbucks. This weight gain is definitely attributed to age metabolism, being married to a  spouse that ensures I eat three times a day (lol) and while life have been good, it is never a bed of roses - whether working for others or being self-employed today!

So how is life as a coffee professional after 08 years in Starbucks and being in 03 independent coffee companies the last 16 years? Working in different companies although they are all of the same industry have elevated my experience in several ways.

Exposure to diverse work environments: The previous two companies (Cuppachoice & Toby's Estate) has its own culture, values, and ways of doing things. By working in both companies, i have exposed myself to a variety of work environments, which broadens my perspective and helps me understand different organizational structures, communication styles, and approaches to problem-solving. This exposure enhances my adaptability and make me more versatile in different professional settings. This also provides me the blank canvas to draw and influence the cultures and values that I like to see in my own Dutch Colony! 

Skill development: The different companies have often pushes me to acquire and display different skill sets. When I work in the 02 different companies, I had the opportunity to acquire and refine a broader range of skills. For example, one company emphasises me to understand and appreciate the value of teamwork and collaboration, and respecting the depth of hierarchy within the organizational structure  while the other prioritise individual autonomy and initiative. By adapting to the different work environments, I developed skills in areas such as leadership, project management, communication, and technical expertise, which have made me a more well-rounded coffee professional.

Industry knowledge: Both companies operates within the same specific industry but serving two different sector of consumers, and by working in the different companies, i gained a deeper understanding of how different sectors operate, their unique challenges, and their specific market dynamics. This industry knowledge have been valuable in my current role, as it brings me insights and perspectives from different sectors, making me more adaptable and strategic in my decision-making today.

Network expansion: Having work professionally in coffee for more than half my age has indefinitely exposed and introduces me to new colleagues, mentors, and professional networks. Building this diverse network have provided me with a valuable connections and resources throughout this career. By working in the different companies, I had the opportunity to connect with professionals from different industries, roles, and backgrounds, expanding my network and opening doors to new opportunities.

Adaptability and resilience: Answering my lady boss remarks on "wahh now easy life lah. Big shot already and a bigger boss now." Each company has its own set of challenges and opportunities. By experiencing different work environments, I develop adaptability and resilience. Working in Cuppachoice, transforming from a full time employee and then to a employee-owner pushes me to learn how to navigate change, handle diverse situations, and thrive in various organizational contexts. This adaptability have been a valuable asset as I progressed in my career, both as Ops Manager of Toby's Estate and currently co-owner of Dutch Colony and have better equipped me to handle new challenges and quickly adjust to different circumstances. It did not get any easier to be honest and quality of life although it have improved significantly, only means I have bigger obstacles and setbacks on a daily basis but having greater resilient provided ease.

Boss and Lady-Boss, I am thankful of the work experience I gained in Cuppachoice and it has definitely shaped me to what I am today. I have always remembered the conversations we had, the 'big fish in the small pond vs small fish in the big pond' concept. Here, I met new people who became friends, via the academy that we co-founded, I trained strangers who are today's industry Champs (shoutout to Hee Wei) and I hired, work with and connected with other professionals in which some have become lifetime suppliers, fellow colleagues and even family-friends!

 Last but not least, after 13 years later (and 20kg heavier!!), indeed it was good to bump into you both in the supermarket. You both have not aged even a little bit.

Comments

  1. Without cuppachoice, I would never have bought my first espresso machine, attended my first barista class and had my first flat white without sugar! Thank you for that experience which I had in the corner shop of temple street. It brought us many memories

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts