Today, 21/4/22, 11 years ago.

Note: This is a Facebook memory sharing on my social media converted to this blog piece.




Today, 11 years ago, i was a co-owner of a small time Cafe, Academy and Roastery all in one. I was 29YO in this photo and it was complicated.

I join this traditional coffee family business in 2007, fresh after a 8 years stint with Starbucks. I was a salaried employee, cutting my teeth in sales and training for this coffee company - roasting and selling commercial grade Arabica coffees.

2 years later in 2009, we open another entity separated from the traditional business and conceptualised this roaster in a box concept, opening 1 unit away from famous Sia Huat. I was made Director with 30% shares holding. Business was brisk, the academy was doing well and we were selling speciality graded single origins in 200gm bags, always overselling each week roasted batches.

In this cafe, we hired and trained the who's who in the industry today - too many names to mention. We were also toll roasting for barista in competitions. Because of this cafe, i lost count the number of weeks that i did 7 straight days of work. Mon to Fri still as a salaried employee doing sales and training and making coffees on the weekend. I remember my dear wife bringing our only daughter then to the shop just to visit me!

When Toby's Estate came knocking, i relinquish my directorship, let go of the shares and the rest is history. I knew then, my parents was finally proud of what i do in coffee and in this photo, was the first time they visited the cafe after being open for 2 years.

If things doesn't work out once, twice or even thrice, keep trying. You never know how close you are to achieving your dreams. Don't give up the goals, just changed plans.

Comments

Popular Posts