Personal and Professional Growth in the Coffee Industry.

Another of my Instagram short post series converted into a full length article, today I like to cover a little about personal and professional growth and what it means to me then as a barista, while in mid-level management and now as a co-owner of six years old Dutch Colony. By all means I am not an expert to this subject, just approaching it from my experience as a job seeking barista and how I see it in today context of things.



Less then 9 hours from last night training (on the 15th of May 2019), I am back on the road driving to our @dutchcolony shop and checking out some flooring works that was done last evening. Too, the rest of our team members from the bar to the kitchen and the roastery, resuming their daily duties.

You would probably think after six years of existence we are resting but no, we are hustling as hard, if not harder than the 6 months, 1 year or the 3 years old start-ups out there. In fact we are not lesser a start-up ourselves, everyday is still pretty much a struggle, working to continue existing, hustling to win sales contract, buzzing to attend to customer needs, grinding to hundreds of cups of coffees. Every cup we sold, every bag we delivered pays for my rice bowl and all 50 odd staffs we have in the payroll.

Some asked if there is a big difference working for someone and running your own, given it is the same industry. I would say we (@tamboto & @blu370n3) ended up working harder and longer then before. There is still also personal and professional growth of our own to manage as well as that of our colleagues and employees. As a matter of fact, their presence, aspiration and intention to be working for Dutch Colony- either seeking personal or professional growth  is so important and allows us to function up until today. So what is the difference between personal and professional growth? And how does it helps one pursuit happiness in whatever he/she seeks to achieve?


First, let's understand the difference of the two from Wikipedia:-

Personal development(or growth) covers activities that improve awareness and identity, develop talents and potential, build human capital and facilitate employability, enhance the quality of life and contribute to the realization of dreams and aspirations. Personal development takes place over the course of a person's entire life.[1] Not limited to self-help, the concept involves formal and informal activities for developing others in roles such as teacherguidecounselormanagerlife coach or mentor. When personal development takes place in the context of institutions, it refers to the methods, programs, tools, techniques, and assessment systems that support human development at the individual level in organizations.[2]

Professional development(or growth) is learning to earn or maintain professional credentials such as academic degrees to formal coursework, attending conferences, and informal learning opportunities situated in practice. It has been described as intensive and collaborative, ideally incorporating an evaluative stage.[1] There are a variety of approaches to professional development, including consultation, coaching, communities of practice, lesson study, mentoring, reflective supervision and technical assistance.[2]

Now that we have understand the difference of the two, let's tackle this 'bull' of a topic from my perspective, by its horn. When I decided that I wanted to do coffee full time for a living, I was only 19 years of age and have spend 3 years as a part-time barista for one of the smallest (at that time) Starbucks store in CBD. I have to leave for NS but I know I wanted to make coffee a professional career when I come back. During NS, I spend a lot of time thinking and realised that while it is good to know what I wanted to do when I collect back my Identity Card and civilian freedom, it is also important for me to invest in my personal development and ensure that I am of employable quality. I had only an ITE Cert in Building Drafting (Architectural) and a direct admission letter to polytechnic sitting in its envelope.

My time spending in Poly full time was also the same time that I juggled my young career as a Shift Manager in Starbucks. In a few company gatherings and when I am invited to speak for schools, I have always shared how I juggled both work and studies, how my 'partner beverage entitlement' for the day will be given to my school project mates so that they are willing to do it in the shop while I am running a shift. This was a critical period for me as I sharpen both my Personal and Professional growth. The rest they say, is history and I conquered thyself.

Many years later, today I am in the position of hiring and growing a local coffee company and in this position, I have seen and hired a lot of aspiring Barista/s - some seeking professional growth while aplenty too is here for their personal development. The truth is, it is rare for an employee in a coffee industry to achieve both should they only invest the same 8 to 9 hours a day to get what they want. You have to be hungry and prepared to spend more hours should you wish to attain both developments at the same period of time. Then again, there should be focus and often, we have potential barista/s dropping out too early when there isn't clarity between their professional and personal development. It is an art to master on how you can work diligently to earn more in term of finances (if I use money as a unit of measure) yet being a people person that value emotional intelligence while being successful professionally!

Have you seen a industrious barista or successful coffee professional but with a very bad reputation or treats their family badly, or a personable barista that seems friendly with everyone around him but after many years still see no growth in their chosen career? I have seen both and there are many in our little industry today. For me, I have finally figured it out (I think) on how to actually see both as one, to have clarity in growing both personally and professionally and how it both can support each other in continuing my passion for coffee. For the longest time, I was either spending a lot of time at work and affecting the harmony at home (to an extend of even bringing work home) or finding myself lagging professionally while trying to improve personal life. The trick is not to over do it (for both) and seek a harmony in building both at the same time. There cannot be balance, both professional and personal development are heavyweights and at times it requires more attention and we should dive right into it but on other days, put harmony back by investing more time personally be it for yourself or for your family.


As a business co-owner today, being able to see personal and professional growth as one with clarity and knowing how to put harmony in both is what that is keeping me sane. It helps that I have passion still for coffee but am always working to ensure that this remain relevant and sustainable so that along with the rest of my partners, we can invest time to also pursue other interests  that we have while keeping the company running. This will be possible when our team of employees are also able to see the harmony of seeing personal and professional growth as one. For now, we will still hustle hard.

Comments

Popular Posts