My job ain't yours and yours not mine either!

Before, I was just like any one of you. I woke up at graveyard hours just to ensure that I reach my workplace at 6.45am sharp. 
I have customer throwing bagels at my face just because she had a lousy day (also because she was determined to prove that our freshly delivered bagels that morning was not "fresh" enough for her unassuming high standards)
I washed toilets and cleared "shit bombs" placed in between ply of hand roll towel by kids from an 'all boys school' somewhere in the west. 
I did all that not thinking that I will continue doing the same thing the next 10 years but because that was what is required of me then and I did it to my best and while at it, I dreamt what I will be in the future. Those "unimportant tasks" actually became the canvas for me to paint on and where i plotted my journey.

It's coming to 7 years now since I left my first barista job and I never really looked back. I do lesser coffee as days passed me by and occupied most of my time with a little bit of roasting, training, consulting, sales and regional judging. I lost touch a lot in coffee making and envy the many latte art pictures that are always posted by younger barista into FaceBook. The arts and their techniques are mind blowing and at times, I asked myself if I will ever start practicing back to a level of their's. then I realized......

My job ain't yours and yours ain't mine. You are hired because you are good at it and because I cannot do what you can, hence you are hired. If I can do those tulips, multi Rosetta and double swans, then why should you be hired in the first place.

God is fair. He gives a little and take some back too. You cannot have your cake and eat it at the same time.

Go figure!

Comments

Popular Posts