A new Coffee Blend.

I miss roasting coffee! I miss coming to work and not thinking of anything else apart from firing the roaster. I miss cupping new samples of coffee origins, taking reference to my old library of coffee books that i have collected throughout my journey in this industry. I miss researching and developing new origins and creating blends. I am still in a Coffee Company but yet i still miss working with Coffee!!

Since i first got involved in coffee roasting in 2007, there was a lot of hit and miss coffee blends. Some that i think the world of and many others that i wont even buy for myself. =) Some that i put so much effort in roasting and cupping each origins, adjusting the degree of roast just to make sure the coffee is well represented and some too, where i jump with the guts and convince myself that 50% of A and 30% of B + a small 20% of C will give me the GOD blend. It was colorful. Up to date, i still remember "The Brown Man Blend" which was concocted whilst i was still in Cuppachoice , as a form of recognition to a fellow coffee comrade, Noribsham(now working for Oriole Coffee Roaster), who have left for NS in 2010. I still remember how back then, Fadhly (currently his turn in NS but roasting part-time for Maison Ikkoku) and i got excited while blending it. It was sweet, milk chocolate, almonds + cherry, a little strawberry too. (its 2013 now and these flavours does not sound that awesome anymore but believe me, back in 2010, there was not many around that can offer such notes in a blend!)

Just recently, i got inspired with the purchase of a new micro lot from Brazil. Its called Alta Mogiana Lot 1309 from the farm of Sao Fransisco, Pulped Natural Yellow Bourbon. Now, i am a sucker for Brazilian beans. It stretched back to the days of year 2000 when i cupped an exclusive Brazilian coffee with Starbucks, Brazil Ipanema Bourbon. Aroma of Cocoa dusting and with a finish of caramel toffee, god.  I got hook to Brazilian micro lots since then.

Anyway, right after cupping it a few months earlier before the decision to make the purchase, i kind of have a roaster instinct of how i will already use this as a base to pair it with the current micro lot that Toby's Estate was already using in the Rodyk Blend, a mixed varietal Ethiopia Sidamo Dara Korate form the Operation Cherry Red project. When the opportunity to roast it came, i told myself, let's do this.

A prototype was made available in Toby's Estate. There was about 3kg available. The guys got excited, the usual suspects also got excited (James Tan, Aaron, Stephen + a few other coffee fans) and came down in waves to try it when it was only 4 days old. Needless to say, only a kg was left at the end of the sampling session. I was hoping to let it aged and re-visit it again actually.

Will come back after this weekend to attempt to roast and blend it again. Cant wait.......

Oh did i already mention that i missed roasting coffee? =)

Comments

Popular Posts