Guest Coffee Series 01- Cloud Of August, Blackburn Estate, Tanzania

To self improve in my taste bud, to understand style of roast and how it impact a selected Single Origin and to appreciate and support worldwide coffee roasting company, which includes too local budding roaster. The only way to make these happen is to have an open mind and keep the coffee orders coming in and thus, the birth of the Guest Coffee Series.

This started quite awhile ago but i have rarely or never really blog a subject on it but instead, keep on posting pictures of it in my personal FB album. Today, after opening up a bag of microlot coffee, Cloud of August from Blackburn Estate, Tanzania, I felt that blogging about it and allowing others to understand the coffee before maybe, making online purchases.

Made famous right after being the coffee of choice for Australian Barista Champion, Matt Perger in the recent WBC 2011, this coffee came in with a high expectation along with my other purchase of a Brazilian Capao Diamantina(which I will blog in my next Guest Coffee Series) Even if it was not use by any sorts of Champion, just reading the taste profile notes on the labels will make any coffee purist smile with joy.

I have the habit of chewing beans before brewing and while on it, realized it has a very much dry peanut texture, hard on the bite, and light grassy taste. It reminds me of under roasted beans that I experience when roasting myself. It looks too as though it was released even before first crack and I got my finger crossed while preparing to pull a shot.

As an Espresso, I am overwhelmed that it does not taste grassy like when I was chewing on it. In my own thought base on the taste of shot that I pulled, it provides a friendly brightness, soft pear like acidity with a nice companion of sweet spices which I can't really relate to what. A sweet shot indeed.
With milk in a Cappuccino, Cloud of August became a straight favorite. It reminds me of Kiwi dipped in melted chocolate. The acidity still cuts through milk and sweetness was further defined. Aftertaste of muscovado sugar, rum and raisin. Certainly a joy.

Comments

  1. Hi Suhaimi,

    Shawn here - [coffeegeek as well but just as a drinker: visit my blog at http://thefoodieinme.blogspot.com]
    was thinking of buying beans from square mile - do you think that's advisible considering the time taken for the shipment to come - i.e. will it still be fresh? thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had this but not from Square Mile.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts