An afternoon with Unwashed Ethiopian Coffees

Taking a quote from a coffee fanatic buddy of mine, James Tan, "I have a growing fondness for the word 'unwashed'!, and I could not agree less. We are not talking fetish about unwashed feet, hair, clothes or mushrooms.(????) We are referring to mind blowing unwashed or better known too as natural processed Ethiopian.

Find me a Barista who hates Ethiopian coffee. Bring me a Coffee Roaster who don't find joy in roasting this origin. Anyone in the industry who is worth his or her salt will profess to you their love for coffees from the big E! Known by many as the country of origin/ birthplace of coffee, Ethiopian has always been my favorite and today I rub both my palms in glee. Today, I received and roasted samples from small microlot Ethiopian coffee farms of not one, not two but 8 unwashed coffee. It was almost immediate that I rearranged the 'what to roast first' in order of bias preference and assuming which of the eight will ranks as my top few. 3 of them when opened from the beg was already bursting with fresh aroma of jackfruit, melon and strawberry and I have yet to even roast it!

I took the opportunity to not only clock more roasting minutes, I also approached the coffee with various techniques. Going gentle, released at first crack, released after first crack on 30secs, 45secs and even a minute. I also went to the extreme of roasting them very light, medium and medium dark. I took down the details, cupped all the samples with the rest of the Barista and took notes.

Three particular coffees stood out.
Dry processed Sidamo Grade 2
Dry processed Harrar Grade 4
Dry processed Yirgacheffe Grade 2

I will be submitting my notes and report and hoping that these coffee will be shipped over for use in Toby's Asia.

Comments

Popular Posts