A Coffee flash forward!

I was talking to a colleague about G.O.D (Grind on Demand) this morning and a recent encounter yesterday flashed through my mind which prompt me to take some of my office hours to blog on this:- Coffee on retail shelves, branding purposes or to serve the Coffee Enthusiasts better?

I will not mention names or brands and although i am working for a Coffee Roaster in Singapore, allow me to be in neutral ground.

I was doing a little bit of grocery shopping last night and when i passed by the escalator on the way up to the wet section, i was disgusted to see brand ABC and XYZ, piled up in two stainless steel cage with the packaging in such a terrible condition. Collecting dust and with some having small tears that caused the 'already grounded into powder' coffee spilling and leaving a trail. I pick up one and breathe through the one way valve and the aroma is stale and dead. With a yellow and red banner that screams 50% off, is this your way of branding? I guess it is true that everybody knows the coffee brand better and the "ooohhhhh that one" when the brand name is mentioned but if this is branding strategy, than don't bother!!

It also make me wonder what do you guys do if the coffee is really not sold. Discard or blended with some other coffees to be re-sold again? Sigh.......

Why can't we just stick to our gourmet practices, adhere to the Coffee Speciality Standards? Grind On Demand, Fresh is Best...........

Comments

Popular Posts