Owning how many Coffee Tampers is too many?

I have been a Barista since 1998 and it wasn't until 2008 that i had a Coffee Tamper that i can call my own. It wasn't any fanciful brand name nor did it cost me a leg but it sure did serve its purpose well. As i was conducting coffee training then in various Singapore CCs, i find that my one and only Aluminium tamper could no longer survive the abuse of time. It was then i decided to get another one, a 100% "pai-kang" (stainless steel) training tamper from China. Perfect for those trainees that handled tampers like it was some heavy dumb-bell. Drop it for all i care, it is Cheap and Good!

In early 2009, i got a reason to buy me another. For the 1st time, i am competing in a National competition and for sure, i want to have some swanky tamper to match my theme. In came another nicely polished rosewood tamper and boy, i fall in love with it. Only problem, it was 56.5mm-57mm in diameter and i had loose coffee grinds on the sidewall of my 58mm Lamarzocco competition porter-filter. Disaster! End 2009, i got my 4th (a black bumper) and 5th personal Coffee Tamper and it was a mean, black convex-based Espro tamper that clicks at 30lbs. I uses it for SNBC 2010 and was really proud of it.

In a span of 2 months of 2010, March-April, my collection of personal tamper grew from 4 to 8. I won one during a Latte Art competition in Malaysia Barista Championship, sponsored one from Espresso Gear during FHA, courtesy of Anders from Expobar and another CafeLat Royal red (which my company happens to distribute now) from Chris Short of Cafetto.

This won't stop me from owning more. I am already eyeing the Cafelat Pillar Tamper and have been googling the RB range for awhile now. So, how many tamper is too many?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts